Friday, September 9, 2011

Making and Selling Decoupage Jars

Decoupage Jars
Recycled Jar Art

I have so many people interested in decoupage lessons I just copied this from my web site to share. if you like this please follow  this blog.  Because i will be adding more soon.
I love jars. I never throw them away. I alway re-purpose them using my images and adding a little paint and old jewelry. I use them for storage, give them as gifts, or sell them.

It is very green to recycle and it is very fun to make a little green while you are doing it.

Here Is How I recycle My Jars

I clean my jars and lids in the washer

I remove my labels under hot running water and use Goo Gone to get rid of the sticky residue.

If I am going to paint my lid I either use metal paint 2 oz. tubes I purchase at the craft store or I prime my lid with Kilz Primer and paint let that dry then paint my color.

Before I apply my image, I clean the outside of my jar again with rubbing alcohol to remove any grease.

I apply my image following the How To Make Stickers tutorial.

Or print out image using sticky paper and cover with clear contact paper to protect it.

To paint gold swirls, I use fabric paints in a tube found at the craft store.

I apply Swarovski Crystals right to the gold paint





 Here is am example of using vintage jewelry on a decoupage jar. 
This is so sparkling pretty!

To add vintage rhinestone jewelry like I did in the witches Brew Jar, I use a glue called E-6000 That can be found at Home Depot or any craft store.


Pricing Your Re-Purposed Jars

Many people ask me how I price my jars. The jars are basically free but for the sake of pricing I use the cost of the item plus supplies x 3 plus a little extra.

The Witches Brew  jar was once  strawbeery jam that cost $2.00 plus supplies of a vintage diamond necklace that cost 50 cents purchased at the flea market.

That's $2.50 x 3 = $7.50 plus I added $1.00  The price of the Witches Brew Jar is $8.50  

That means not only do I get my jam for free while helping the environment, I also make money to buy more jam.

It is good to have  variety of sizes and prices if you are selling jars.

Good luck with your Jar Art


Thanks 
Kate Bangs /http://www.collagesheetgirl.com

Super Close-up....   This is awesome because you can see all the details. 
It not perfect it just handmade goodness!  Haa Haa



I spray primed this lid with Kilz and then painted it a Girly soft pink.


Vintage Roses Labels Digital Collage Sheet-collage sheet, rose, labels, sugar, supplies,


Would you like to make your own Rose Jars.
Here is the collage sheet link below. 

1 comment:

FLO said...

I really love all your ideas.
Thank you for sharing :)